Thursday, February 2, 2012

Service Learning

My name is Chelsea Williams and I have been interning with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Palm Beach and Martin Counties since August. My experience here has been amazing! When I first began I was a little intimidated because I did not have any background knowledge in the field of non-profits, however, I was eager to learn so everyday I came with laptop and notebook ready in hand. I had to first interview with Kara Justi, Chief Development Officer of BBBS of PB and Martin Counties, and from that interview I knew she was an astonishing woman. Her flamboyant and super pleasant personalities are qualities needed in the world of non-profit. Justi mentored me and several other girls and educated us on the dos and don’ts when it comes to maintaining a non-profit organization and writing grants. We worked extensively on research for grants. We were made aware of the importance of conducting research before you can even think about writing a grant. We were educated on the different types of grants and the ones that are most preferred by non-profit organizations. We were also given access to exclusive websites such as the Foundation Center Online. Utilizing such websites afforded us the opportunity to view specific grant-makers’ requirements, grant-makers’ 990s, and also to see what organizations the grant-makers had previously donated to. Lastly, each of us got to submit our own grant to Wal-Mart. Hitting the submit button was the most rewarding part of the entire process. Through the advise of Justi I also have been afforded another opportunity; interning for local magazine, HER LIFE. Working with the program is beneficial to all participants. Rewarding experiences were reciprocated on both ends. Overall, I enjoyed my experience with BBBS of Palm Beach and Martin Counties and I recommend the organization to anyone wanting to explore the field of non-profit.

-Chelsea Williams
Florida Atlantic University Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment